Wednesday, September 17, 2014

My September/October To-Read List!!






Hello! Thought I would share the books that I'm hoping to finish this month! I've heard really good things about all of these titles. I think that they are all a little on the darker side, which is perfect reading for September. Transitioning from a boisterous summer, September lends itself those darker tones, and perhaps more melancholy reads. The air has started to get that fall chill and twilight descends a little bit sooner, making me want to snuggle up with a good book and a cup of tea. 

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel-- I'm particularly excited to start reading this historical fiction novel as word on the street is that it's being made into miniseries featuring Damian Lewis, who I have loved since he made me physically cringe in 'The Forsyte Saga'. For realz, this guy is good. But back to the book. Along with winning various awards for Wolf Hall, including the really prestigious Man Booker prize, Mantel is a complete bad ass and said that she would use the Booker award money on "sex, drugs, and rock and roll." She was 57 at the time. Mantel has followed up Wolf Hall with Bringing Up The Bodies, and there will be a third book in the series to come out next year.

The Secret History by Donna Tartt-- So, I may be a little late to the Donna Tartt party... With her most recent work, Goldfinch, receiving the Pulitzer Prize, I feel like I need to see what all the fuss is about. Apparently there are lots of English majors up to no good in this novel, so it will probably be similar to what my university experience was like... jk!

Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson-- I feel like I may have already read this book... I can't remember. Besides from it's beautiful cover art, this book has a lot of good things going for it: love, racism, mystery, World War II... I'm excited to read/re-read this one

Tell The Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt-- I've actually already started this book and, so far, it is fantastic! Told from the point of view of a teenage girl in the '80s, the story revolves around the death of the girl's beloved uncle from AIDS and her struggle to come to terms with what happened. When I bought this at a bookstore, the cashier told me, "I actually bought this in hardback and I cried reading it!" Now, if that's not a glowing recommendation, I don't know what is! You don't waste your money on just any hard cover book!

No comments:

Post a Comment